Monday, November 3, 2014

Observations for Week 2

Week 2: This week Professor McFarland put a a fish food pellet from Atison's Betta Food (information below) into each micro aquarium and with this, I observed a lot of organisms around this food pellet and also was able to identify a few more new organisms. My micro aquarium is starting to become more familiar as I see a lot of the organisms that I identified last week all around the micro aquarium plus the ones I just identified. There were also a few more organisms that I found this week that I was unable to identify because they were either moving around the micro aquarium too fast or were hidden so I could not see enough  of the organism to be able to identify what it is. With this, I was still able to observe new things and the images below are what I found for this week.

"Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%.

Image 1. Identified organism is a Nematoda as found in Fresh-Water Invertebrates of The United States: Protozoa to Mollusca by Robert W. Pennak pg. 228 fig. 1. In this picture I was only able to get the posterior end of the Nemoda as it was swimming around very rapid and then its anterior end was hidden behind a leave for a while so I could only observe this aspect of the Nematoda.

Image 2. The Craspedacusta Sowerbyi was also identified in Fresh-water Invertebrates of the United States: Protozoa to Mollusca by Robert W. Pennak pg. 116 fig 5.b. This was the only one I saw of this organism as professor McFarland told me it is a freshwater Jellyfish. There was no movement along with it as it is in one of its earlier developing stages so I am assuming that is why there was not a great amount of movement. The diagram in the book showed the stages of the Craspedacusta Sowerbyi's growth cycle and identified this organism in one of its earliest stages so hopefully I will be able to continue to watch it develop. 

Bibliography:

Pennak, Robert W. Fresh-Water  Invertebrates of the United States: Protozoa to Mollusca. 3rd ed. A Wiley-interscience publication. 

McFarland, Kenneth [Internet] Botany 111 Fall 2014. [15 October 2014]. Available fromhttp://botany1112014.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment