Monday, November 10, 2014

Week 3 Observations

Even after the third week, I am continuing to identify new organisms with the help of Professor McFarland. Im starting to see how diversitized my micro aquarium really is as there seem to be new organisms every week. I also keep seeing previous organisms that I have already identified but I continue to watch how they interact in the micro aquarium every week to see if they change their habits. 

Image 1. This organism is a Peranema which is further described in  Free-living Freshwater Protozoa: A Color Guide by D.J Patterson on pg. 51, figure 70. I did not see many of these organisms but I was able to easily spot it out as the Peranema moved at a steady pace so I was able to observe it. 

Image 2. This organism has been identified as an Epalxis which is further described in Free-living Freshwater Protozoa: A Color Guide by D.J Patterson on pg. 141, figure 311. This organism was hard to get a picture of (hence the blurry picture) as it moved around at a very abrupt and fast pace. Luckily I was able to get a picture, because if not I may not of had another chance in capturing the Epalxis.


Bibliography
(Both sources have already been cited in previous blogs)



No comments:

Post a Comment